-
September 7th, 2005, 08:19 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Please let me start by saying that I don't want to come off like I'm whining in these reviews. I guess I do have pretty high expectations from American Girl. That is based on the extreme quality I've had in the past. I typically oh and ah over the things I receive, and I think FAO Swartz has nothing on AGP. It's the ultimate toy store! All that said, here are my reviews:
Felicity's Tea Lesson Outfit: Yes, I actually received it. I think my package was boxed and sent before they realized there was a problem. The dress fabric is really pretty. I wish they'd make Kit a dress in this color! I love the hat and the dress design. It is indeed too small in the sleeves, and it is really tight around the bodice as well. My Felicity is not at all fat, but she does wear her undergarments. The dress length is pretty short, much shorter than any of Felicity's other dresses. The shoes are very pretty, but they are small. Felicity can't wear her stockings (green or ivory) with them. So, I'll send it back and wait for the new version.
Elizabeth's Tea Lesson Outfit: This dress is beautiful, but again very small in cut. It's tight over her hands, but not as tight as Felicity's. The shoes are also very tiny, and the hem is short. When I was removing the dress, the lace on the sleeves pulled out of the seam. I *barely* touched it. There is NO WAY this dress would stand up to play. It's going back.
Noah's Ark: VERY CUTE. If it's not wood, it's a REALLY good fake. The animals are resin, but alas my set contains only one pig. So, it has to go back too.
Mini Elizabeth: I don't know what it is about this mini, but she doesn't look quite right to me. I have Nellie & Josefina, who should have the same face mold. Elizabeth's is different. The nose is wider, and the eyes are farther apart. The vinyl is also a different shade than my other caucasian girls, and it does not look natural. The dress is very short, and I just don't care at all for the color. She is also a good bit bigger than my other minis. Even her arms and hands are bigger. The head is bigger, teeth larger. Her hair is smooshed from being in the tiny box. Basically, I just don't see her as pretty in person as even the worst pictures of 18" Lizzie. She's going back. The quality isn't worth the price. If I can get her cheaper at a book store, I'll think about buying her again.
Elizabeth's Night Shift: This set is really pretty. You'll see from my photos that it needs to be ironed, but it's a really nice gown. The slippers are padded on the bottom, which makes it a little difficult for Felicity to stand up. I will use these, but may have a friend who does leatherworking make her a set in buckskin. The cap is really precious.
Felicity's Riding Habit: Wow... it looks great! I like that the skirt is open on both sides. It makes getting it on over her undergarments easier than any other outfit. It needs to be pressed too, which will only make it better. The tri-corner hat is FAB! The jacket is very tight; it barely closes around my Felicity. The sleeves are quite tight on it as well, but the fabric has some give so I was able to get it on. I don't think my Felicity has ever looked prettier than in this outfit!
Elizabeth's Riding Habit: I love this one too. I think it's a lovely shade of pink. My cousin, who has two little girls, calls it baby girl pink. It needs to be ironed as well. (Guess I'll be ironing tonight, huh?) I couldn't get the elastic waist underskirt on over the pocket hoops, so I just placed it under them. The lace on the collar needs to be starched so it stays down, but it's really pretty. Again, the jacket sleeves are tight, and it barely velcros in the front. I believe the jacket is exactly the same cut and pattern as Felicity's. The hat is really striking. This outfit is really classy, very grown-up!
So, overall, I'm pretty disappointed in my order. I've certainly never said that before. The shortness of the gowns, I think, goes beyond being "above the shoes" or "at the ankle" or "high enough so they don't get muddy." They are at least 1-1.5" shorter than Felicity's Rose Garden, Summer or Traveling gowns. And I really hate this for those of you with plump Lissies, but I really don't think these outfits will fit. My Lissie is my slimmest doll next to Marisol (whose padding is all in her butt, just like JLo) and they barely close-- and that's with the undergarments on and the stays laced as tight as they will go.
I love the riding habits, although they could be easier to get on and off. It is nice that Felicity will have some things to wear this winter. Her other outfits I have are all summer-y. I'd love to see some black boots (not shiny like the equestrian) for Felicity's and ivory for Elizabeth's. Felicity's new [Elizabeth] nighgown certainly merits a slumber party, but it will have to wait for pajamas to arrive for my new AGoT who's coming.
Here are some pictures I took during Felicity's modeling session: Felicity's Album
Heather
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ September 07, 2005 09:37 PM: Message edited by: jrtmom3274 ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks